Having attended the recent annual conference of foreign language practitioners and researchers,
And having been rejuvenated through workshops and conversations with colleagues and presenters,
And having been given a charter to work with middle school students this current year
I pledge the following:
- To honor my students by maximizing our time together with the goal of creating proficient French communicators
- To design activities with that end in mind
- To be willing to drop ‘cherished or already planned’ activities if they do not contribute toward proficiency
- To seek to give these students compelling comprehensible input that maximizes their exposure to French
- To seek novel ways to capture student attention
- To communicate what a privilege and delight it is to work with each student no matter their interest, ability or behavior
- To avoid error correction unless asked for
- To remember to make learning French fun within the above parameters.
To the best of my ability, knowing that I am not God and have limitations, I aim to carry out the above actions as long as I am their classroom French teacher. So help me, God!